- Citation Management Tools
- Language Learning Tools
- Academic databases
- eBook Readers
Citation Management Tools
EndNote is a powerful citation management tool which helps users search hundreds of online resources for bibliographic information and PDFs. Using this tool users can store and organize PDFs into meaningful collections, and read, review, annotate and search within the PDFs in personal libraries or libraries shared with others for group projects. The tool can also build bibliographies in a huge range of referencing styles. It is available for both Windows and Mac (desktop and iOS app).
Note: The software is licensed for all DKU faculty, students and staff. It is not permitted to share with others outside DKU.
- Access DKU SharePoint
- Select either Windows or Mac version EndNote X8 or X9 to install the software to your devices. Note: the latest version is X9.
- Please follow the instruction EndNote X8 Volume License Install Steps or EndNote X9 Install Steps to complete the installation.
- Please note: Product Key is needed for Windows version EndNote X8. It is provided within the SharePoint.
- If you already downloaded EndNote X8 and would like to update to the latest version, please uninstall it before you install X9. It will not affect the libraries you created in EndNote X8, you can open them in EndNote X9.
Help and support:
- User guides are available at the Endnote Training website.
- For one-on-one support, contact DKU Library.
Zotero is a free, open source citation management tool created by the Center for History and New Media at George Mason University. It is available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
The tool supports the capture of bibliographic data for a range of source types, the storage and organization of PDFs, and automation of in-text citations and reference lists using Microsoft Word and Google Docs.
- Go to the Zotero download page.
- Click the ‘Download’ button to install the software
- Install the ‘Connector’ for your chosen web browser (this allows you to capture bibliographic information from the web)
- If you would like to sync your account across multiple devices, create your account at the Zotero registration page.
Help and support:
Language Learning Tools
ChinesePod is a Mandarin learning tool with a daily language learning podcast and accompanying website. With DKU Library’s subscription, you’ll get premium access to the resource which includes: full access to the archive of over one thousand lessons and all new lessons published within the subscription period; online lesson review exercises and expansion; high-quality audio review file, containing new vocabulary and examples of usage; vocabulary study tools, including virtual flashcards; and iPhone access.
- Complete ChinesePod Code Redeem Form.
- You will get an access code via email at your DKU email address. Follow the instructions in the email to activate your subscription.
Skritter is a tool for you to learn Chinese & Japanese characters, you write characters in stroke-level in your browser with Skritter and get real-time feedback. It also automatically import your vocabulary from ChinesePod.
- Go to Skritter and click ‘Sign Up’ in the top right corner.
- Create an account using your DKU email address.
- Under ‘Payment method’ select ‘School Email’, then click ‘Send a validation email to your address’
- You will get a validation code via email at your DKU email address. Follow the instructions in the email to validate your account.
Linguistic Data Consortium (LDC)
LDC supports language-related teaching and research through the creation and provision of data linguistic resources, such as data collections, corpora, software, research papers and specifications. Visit the LDC Language Resources page for full details.
LDC is hosted by the University of Pennsylvania and is a center within the University’s School of Arts and Sciences.
- Go to the LDC signup page to create your account. You will need to accept the LDC Online User Agreement before you proceed.
- Enter all the requested details on the sign up form. Please note:
- You must use your DKU email address to register.
- You must enter ‘Duke Kunshan University’ in the Organization field
- When you submit your details, the DKU LDC administrator will first need to verify your registration. You will be notified by email once the verification is complete.
- Once the verification is complete, you can login to access LDC.
Please note: all corpora downloads will first be approved by the DKU LDC administrator.
Wind Financial Terminal is a one-stop platform for Chinese financial data and information. The terminal integrates the most comprehensive and accurate market data, fundamental data, research, news, and analytics tools across all asset classes in China.
- Wind Financial Terminal can be accessed on all Library public workstations:
- Full version on Windows desktops (second floor)
- Trial version (no download) available on Mac desktops (second floor) and iPad pro (first floor)
Locate the Wind icon to open the platform.
- If you would like to create a personal account, email Mengjie Zou (Research and Instruction Librarian). We will need your NetID, name and phone number.
Help and Support:
- DKU Librarians can provide training for Wind on request.
Adobe Digital Editions
Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) is a free eBook reader software program that is required for reading many of the Library’s eBooks. It is available for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android. When you create a free account with Adobe (your Adobe ID) your eBooks and reading progress can be synced across multiple devices.
- Go to the ADE download page and install the software for your computer, phone or tablet.
- When prompted during the install, create your Adobe account and login to the software to begin downloading and reading eBooks
Super Star Chinese eBook and Journal machine
DKU Library subscribes to two self-service stations with thousands of Chinese language eBooks and journals to check out to your smartphones or tablets. One is located next to the Library entrance on the first floor of the Academic Building, and the other is on the second floor of the student residence hall.
- Download the app 超星移动图书馆 from Apple Store or Android Market.
- Locate an eBook or journal on the machine, then find the QR code in the bottom right corner
- Click 扫一扫 (scan) on the app to scan the QR code
- The item will be added to 书架 (bookshelves) on the app
- To sync your downloads and reading progress across multiple devices, create a free account with the app.
There is no limit to how many books or journals you can download, and the items do not expire.