Duke Kunshan GLS Program, Advisor Guidelines
These guidelines apply to all faculty and staff who take on an Advisory role for the Duke Kunshan GLS Program.
- Advisors are chosen by the GLS Program Manager in consultation with the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Programs and the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
- Usually, Advisors are faculty or staff who are permanently based on the Duke Kunshan campus or here for at least one full semester, so as to ensure continuity for students.
- Once an Advisor is chosen, he/she will be given a list of around six students who will be the advisees.
- The Advisor should meet with each student individually for at least 1/2 hour during the first week of the program. In addition, the Advisor should organize a group meeting with advisees, which can be a lunch or dinner meeting, and which can be expensed to the GLS Program.
- Following the initial meeting, the Advisor can then organize one or more follow-up meetings later in the semester with each student, depending on the student’s needs.
- Advisors should try to spend an equal or roughly equal amount of time with each student and not favor any particular student, though some students may have more issues to resolve than others.
- The following are topics that Advisors are encouraged to discuss with their advisees:
- Course Load and Add/Drop Decisions: How to finalize your selection of courses
- Graduate School: considering, choosing, and applying
- Career Direction: which path to take and how to get there
- Resumes: How to write them and what tools and techniques are available for doing so
- Internships and Research: what the opportunities are at Duke Kunshan University and how to get involved
- Work Load: How to manage, handle, and balance work and life
- Social and Personal Life: how to manage relations with others in the community
Please contact the GLS Program Manager and/or the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Programs if you have any questions or concerns about your role as Advisor and/or what advice to give your students. We hope that this will be a productive, rewarding, and enjoyable experience for both you and your advisees.
- Andrew Field, Associate Dean, Undergraduate Programs
- Tong Meng, Program Manager, GLS Program
- Haiyan Gao, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs