IB1046, 9:00-9:45 & 10:00-10:45
- Coraline Goron, Assistant Professor of Environmental Policy
- Lecture: Introduction to Fieldwork Methods and Issues
IB1047, 9:00-9:45 & 10:00-10:45
- Yu Wang, Assistant Professor of Social Science (Sociology) & Co-Director of Center for the Study of Contemporary China
- Lecture: Introduction to Survey Research in China
Water Pavilion, 11:00-12:00
- Feng Tian, Associate Professor, Department of Sociology, Fudan University
- Lecture: Social Connectedness among Community-Dwelling among Shanghai Older Adults
Aging is generally assumed to be associated with a natural and inevitable withdrawal and disengagement from the society. To test this, we run a pilot on a community to explore 112 older adults' social interactions with other elderly neighbors. Results from Social Network Analysis portrayed a drastic different picture other than the general presumption. These older adults know many of their neighbors very well and in turn form a very dense, cohesive network as a whole. Aging, as we show, is not necessarily associated with loneliness but rather a new life phase of intensive socializing within the community.
Felicia F. Tian is an associate professor of sociology at Fudan University, China. Her research interests include social networks, community studies, and marriage and family in Chinese society. Her research has appeared in Social Networks, Journal of Marriage and Family, Demographic Research and Chinese Sociological Review.
Free lunch will provided and registration is open to freshmen students.