Associate Professor of Environmental Economics, Duke Kunshan University
Director of the Master of Environmental Policy Program, Duke Kunshan University
Director of the Environmental Research Center, Duke Kunshan University
Zhang's research centers on empirical issues in environmental and resource economics. He adopts an interdisciplinary approach that integrates social sciences, engineering and natural sciences to deal with environmental policy problems. His research topics cover air pollution, water resources, energy and climate change.
Junjie Zhang is Director of Environmental Research Center and Master of Environmental Policy (iMEP) Program at Duke Kunshan University, Associate Professor of Environmental Economics at Duke Kunshan University and in the Nicholas School of the Environment at Duke University. He is also a Senior Adviser of Asia Society. Prior to the current position, he was an associate professor in the School of Global Policy and Strategy at the University of California, San Diego. Zhang holds a Ph.D. in Environmental and Resource Economics from Duke University, an M.S. and a B.S. in environmental engineering from Tsinghua University, and a B.A. in environmental economics and management from Renmin University of China.
Mitigating climate threat to China's food security
July 28, 2017, China Daily
Will China Take the Lead on Climate Change?
November 21, 2016, ChinaFile
Is China Doing Enough for the Environment?
March 11, 2016, ChinaFile
Junjie Zhang discusses China's wind power technology
June 13, 2017, CGTN America
Interviews and Quotes
New Carbon Trading Market Unlikely to Overhaul China’s Energy Mix
December 21, 2017, Sputnik International
China’s sweeping crackdown against pollution
September 2, 2017, South China Morning Post
China Is Preparing to Launch the World’s Biggest Carbon Market
August 14, 2017, Scientific American
- Zhang, P., O. Deschenes, K. Meng, and J. Zhang (2018). "Temperature Effects on Productivity and Factor Reallocation: Evidence from a Half Million Chinese Manufacturing Plants." Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 88: 1–17. [NBER WP]
- Media coverage: Science Daily, EurekAlert, Noozhawk, Futurity, Santa Barbara Edhat
- Zhang, J. and Q. Mu (2017). "Air pollution and defensive expenditures: Evidence from particulate-filtering facemasks." Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Forthcoming.
- Media coverage: Council on Foreign Relations, UCSD News, Mordern Experess
- Yang, Y., J. Zhang, and C. Wang (2017). "Forecasting China's Carbon Intensity -- Is China on Track to Comply with Its Copenhagen Commitment?" Energy Journal, 39(2).
- Zhang, J., Z. Wang, and X. Du (2017). "Lessons learned from China's regional carbon market pilots." Economics of Energy and Environmental Policy, 6(2): 1-20. (Invited Submission)