2017 Duke Talent Identification Program (TIP) Summer Studies in China
July 9-29, 2017
Duke Kunshan University
Duke Kunshan University offers the Duke TIP Summer Studies Program to academically talented eighth through tenth grade students from China and around the world. The program provides accelerated academic opportunities and dynamic residential and social experiences. In a unique campus setting under the direction of experienced educators, students explore advanced topics within a challenging and engaging learning environment, experience life on a university campus, and develop lasting friendships with their gifted peers.
During the program, students will experience:
- innovative, interdisciplinary course topics reflecting cutting-edge research
- an interactive educational model that encourages students to ask questions, offer opinions, think creatively, work collaboratively, and apply theoretical concepts to real-world challenges
- an intense, accelerated pace in the classroom: students attend a single class for seven hours each weekday and three hours on Saturdays
- a community of motivated and engaged peers committed to exploration and high achievement—something many students have never experienced before
- a dynamic and fun social and residential experience that complements the academic environment and promotes the development of an inclusive community
Participants in the Summer Studies in China program are challenged to stretch beyond self-perceived limits to reach their academic potential. They gain experience in a classroom environment that demands a high degree of participation and explores advanced topics. Students gain independence, confidence, and leadership skills as they live with peers with different backgrounds and perspectives.
Requirements and Prerequisites
Summer Studies in China is open to academically talented students in the eighth through tenth grade from China and around the world. Classes are conducted in English, and students are required to have a high-level of English proficiency in order to master material, participate in discussions, and engage fully in the program.
Admissions decisions are based on review of a portfolio application. Competitive candidates will be invited to an interview that will be held in person or via online video (such as Skype).
28,700 CNY – Program fee covers all classroom materials and books, residential activities, and room and board. Financial aid is available to families who demonstrate need.
Early application deadline*
Interviews (via Skype)
Beginning January 16
Interviews (in person, selected cities in China)
Late February to Early March
Regular application deadline
Late application deadline
Within 3 weeks of interview
3 weeks after placement decision