Innovation & Entrepreneurship Fundamentals and Global Immersion Summer School
July 29-August 18, 2018 (3 weeks)
Phase 1: Duke Kunshan University: July 29-August 4, 2018;
Phase 2: Duke University: August 4-August 18, 2018
About Duke Kunshan University
Duke Kunshan University is a Sino-American partnership of Duke University and Wuhan University to create world-class liberal arts and research university offering a range of academic programs for students from China and throughout the world.
- Heavy commitment to developing global citizens through “rooted globalism”
- Joint venture structure embodies multicultural collaboration
- A great achievement of China-US People-to-people culture & exchange
- Delivering academic programs designed to address society’s future needs through a curriculum based in the liberal arts tradition
- Global learning environment that challenges students to apply their knowledge during the learning process
Duke Kunshan University (DKU) will provide the Innovation & Entrepreneurship Fundamentals and Global Immersion Summer School(“IEFGI”) to 35 outstanding students from prestigious universities all over the world. The IEFGI will be conducted from July 29, 2018 to August 18, 2018. The overall length of the program will be three weeks, including one week at Duke Kunshan University of P. R. China and two weeks at Duke University of the USA. The contents of the IEGIP include coursework and case study on entrepreneurship and innovation, on-site official visits, improvement of English language skills, and cultural exchange activities. Upon successful completion of the program, the participants will get an official certificate jointly delivered by Duke Kunshan and Duke University.
What you will learn during the program
- Understand the global and China context of innovation and entrepreneurship;
- Recognize a set of tools such as intellectual property law, leadership, cost-benefit analysis to accelerate the development of innovation and entrepreneurship;
- Identify a variety of enterprises and evaluate their roles and positions;
- Discuss how to identify opportunities, develop products and manage a startup finance;
- Express how to make a marketing strategy and build a business plan;
Benefits for attending the program
- Since the program will be conducted in both Duke Kunshan University and Duke University, the participants will achieve a great global learning experience in China and US;
- In the first week of lectures and field trips in Kunshan of China, Participants who take this summer program will learn an overall concept on Innovation and Entrepreneurship development. In addition to lectures on leadership, strategy and innovation, students will visit traditional manufacturers, high-tech companies, start-ups and venture capital funds, to get an overview of a variety of enterprises and start to learn how to evaluate opportunities.
- The 2-week at Duke University will focus on the successful creation and early execution of a new venture. It will teach students marketing, finance and business planning within the context of forming a start-up. Core concepts include: establishing a value proposition; identifying an opportunity; intellectual property and technology management; marketing & financing a start-up; and exiting a company. The course has a technology focus, but many of the concepts apply to any start-up activity. Students will form teams to go through all the steps required to form a business, stopping short of executing legal agreements to do so. The experience is an ideal springboard for students who want to start a company or be part of an early-stage company in the future.
Requirements and Prerequisites
- The undergraduates from the outstanding universities worldwide; no limitations on majors or disciplines;
- Strong interests in Innovation & Entrepreneurship issues;
- High English proficiency required for non-native English speakers, TOEFL (80) or IETLS (6.5) preferred; online interviews will be conducted for the students without TOEFL or IETLS scores;
- Excellent academic performance, minimum GPA 3.0;
- Previous Internship Experience preferred;
- A proposal describing your ideas on Innovation & Entrepreneurship issues is required to submit online (maximum 600 words);
February 26, 2018
Early Decision Deadline
March 30, 2018
Early Decision Interview for the Applicants without qualified TOEFL or IETLS scores
April 9-13, 2018
Early Decision Admission Decision Announcement
April 17, 2018
Early Decision Payment Deadline
April 27, 2018
Normal Application Deadline
April 20, 2018
Application Interview for the Applicants without qualified TOEFL or IETLS scores
Application Admission Decision Announcement
May 17, 2018
Normal Application Payment Deadline
May 27, 2018
July 29-Aug 18, 2018
Phase 1: Duke Kunshan University:
July 29-August 4, 2018
Phase 2: Duke University:
August 4-18, 2018
Including: Tuition fee, local transportation, lodging (double-room), one meal per day, field trips, insurance, coffee break, welcome reception, graduation/ farewell dinner
Not include: International airfare, personal expenses and shopping, visa & passport, etc.
Early Decision Application
- 10% discount will be offered to all Early Decision applicants
- Seats are limited for Early application
Duke Kunshan University will provide overall 10,000 USD as the scholarship for this program, including 2 winners of first prize ($2,000 for each), 3 second-prize winners ($1,000 for each), 6 third-prize winners ($500 each). The scholarship will be granted to the qualified participants upon completing the program, according to their performance.
Note: before initiating your online application, please make sure you have the official transcripts already on your hand.