A successful job search requires you to pursue available recruiting opportunities and events on-campus, as well as enact your career development plan in your off-campus networking. Taking advantage of the career resources available to you at Fuqua and DKU and plugging into Duke's expansive global alumni network puts you in a great position as you enter the business world upon graduation.
Recruiting Events & Opportunities for MMS: DKU Students
For those with US work authorization or others with interest in working for large multinational corporations with global recruiting teams, your job search will begin in earnest with on-campus recruiting events during your US residency, which often include first-round interviews held at either the Duke University or The Fuqua School of Business Career Management Centers, typically beginning in late September. For those with Chinese work authorization, you will have the opportunity to make connections and interview with multinational and national organizations in China starting in the Fall 1 term. Be engaged, be social, and be on top of your game — just like you, recruiters are taking notes.
MMS: DKU students have access to the following recruiting opportunities on campus at both Duke University in the US and Duke Kunshan University in China:
- Shadowing — Observe business professionals to learn more about their daily responsibilities and routine.
- Panel Discussions — Learn about career paths, get a sense of the typical workday for industry professionals, and network with job recruiters during receptions.
- Duke Fall Career Fair — Employer representatives (including Duke alumni) attend from many sectors, including business, technology, education, government and nonprofit. Attendees have included Accenture, Apple, Bloomberg, GE, Intuit, Levi Strauss & Co. and General Motors
- Office Hours — Engage in casual interactions with business professionals.
- Corporate Presentations — Learn more about companies you're interested in.
- Networking Receptions — Mingle with corporate representatives.
- Webinars — Participate in webinars hosted by recruiters, and learn about a company's leadership development programs and hiring landscape.
- Company Meet & Greets — Meet with recruiters or other company representatives in an informal group setting to learn more about companies and their available job opportunities.
Build Your Professional Network
In addition to these recruiting events, MMS: DKU students also have access to networking opportunities such as case competitions, mock interviews, and other student club events. You can start creating your professional network on your own by reaching out to leading global and local businesses and nonprofits through job postings, corporate events and alumni. When it comes to on-campus opportunities, we bring recruiters in, but it's your job to impress them. Dress the part, think big, and remember your Fuqua training.
Valuable Networking Tips
Utilize skills gained from your Business Communications courses and come ready to show company representatives what you’ve learned and where you’re headed. The spotlight is on you, and the MMS: DKU program has prepared you for success.
Consider these tips to make the most of this networking opportunity:
- Bring multiple copies of your resume. Leave a great impression with potential employers long after the conversation is over. Work with our career counseling staff to craft a memorable, informative resume.
- Do your research. The more background you know about a company, the better the conversation you’ll have with the company representatives at the job fair. Be a memorable candidate by asking questions and staying interested.
- Dress for success. First impressions are important. Dress professionally for the job you want.
- Follow up. Get the company representative’s business card and take any informative pamphlets or booklets. If you get the opportunity for an interview, this information will be extremely valuable
Master of Management Studies: Duke Kunshan University students have access to valuable career resources, including recruiting opportunities, to aid in the job search upon graduation. Interested in more information? Contact us with any questions, or begin the admissions process today.