As part of your online application, you must upload one copy of the scanned unofficial transcript from each undergraduate and graduate institution where you
- earned (or will earn) a degree;
- studied for one semester or more;
- earned 12 or more hours of credit; or
- took classes that relate to your graduate study interests.
If you are unable to upload your transcript to the application because your educational institution does not issue transcripts directly to students, please follow the instructions at the end of this page.
You do not need to mail official paper copies of your transcripts before receiving an offer of admission. If you are admitted, you will be required to submit official transcripts from all institutions listed in the Education section of your application, regardless of the number of credits earned.
Duke Kunshan University reserves the right to rescind any offer of admission if any discrepancies are found between your uploaded and official transcripts.
How to Submit
Upload electronic copies of your unofficial transcripts via the online application. Do not submit secondary school records. If your Social Security number appears on your transcripts, mark out all except the last four digits of the number before uploading the transcripts to your application.
- Each transcript must provide a year-by-year listing of all courses taken and the grade or mark received for each.
- If the transcript is not in English, we need both the transcript in its original language and an English translation of the transcript. If your institution does not issue documents in English, you must have the transcripts translated by a professional translation service.
- If the grading scale of the institution is available, be sure to include that information.
- Before uploading an electronic transcript issued by your school, make sure it can be opened without passwords or other security information.
- We do not accept web page screenshots from a student information system in place of transcripts. Uploading screenshots instead of transcripts will delay the processing of your application.
Acceptable Transcript Formats
- Scanned copies of paper transcripts produced by the institution
- Electronic transcripts produced by the institution
What To Do If You Have Trouble Uploading Your Transcript
If you are having trouble uploading your transcript, the following tips may help:
- Make sure your file is in Word (.doc) or PDF format and does not exceed 1.5 MB (1,500 kb) in size.
- Do not scan in color. Use grayscale if possible; otherwise, use black and white.
- Optimize the PDF in Adobe Acrobat by following these instructions:
- Select PDF Optimizer under Advanced menu options.
- On the PDF Optimizer screen, go to “Image Settings” and select “Compression: JPEG”.
- On the same screen, go to “Grayscale Images” and select “Quality: Low”.
- Click OK.
- Scan your file at the lowest DPI that produces a legible image (usually less than 200 DPI).
Once you have uploaded your file, click the "View Document" button to ensure that the document you uploaded is legible throughout. If your document is not legible, the processing of your application will be delayed.
If you have followed the above guidelines and still cannot upload your transcript to the application, email each transcript as a single PDF attachment to email@example.com. Do not send more than one PDF attachment unless you are emailing more than one transcript (i.e., one transcript=one PDF attachment, two transcripts=two PDF attachments, and so on). Do not send Microsoft Word documents or JPEG files. In the body of the email, include your name and the name of the department to which you are applying.
What To Do If Your School Does Not Issue Transcripts to Students
If your school does not issue transcripts directly to students, ask them to either send a secure, electronic copy of your transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail a paper copy to
DKU-Duke University Graduate School
Office of Admissions
2127 Campus Drive, Box 90065
Durham, NC 27708
Note: This address is both a physical location and a mailing address. If your mail service will not deliver to a post office box, delete "Box 90065" from the address and use the postal code 27708-0065.