Host family programs are commonly implemented in universities around the world. Host families range from single individuals to families with children. They are active members of the community and have a desire to learn more about another culture. Host families commit to hosting an international student for the duration of their stay at Duke Kunshan, which is usually for a four year period. Ideally, families and students should meet at least once a month but keep in contact with each other on a more regular basis.
What are the international students’ responsibilities?
- Be open-minded, accept and respect the host family’s culture and tradition and learn about the host family’s culture and country
- Introduce your own local culture, history and tradition to the host family
- Communicate with host family on a regular basis, return the phone calls, messages, and emails from the host family promptly
- Accept invitations from the host family whenever possible and plan an activity with your host family when you have time
- Be a friend to your host family members, like younger children or kids
- Participate in Host Family events whenever at least once a semester with your host family
- Communicate with your host families effectively when encountering problems or conflicts
- Notify the Office of Student Affairs in advance if you are unable to continue in the program due to uncontrollable reasons
What can international students expect from host family?
- Pick up from the Pudong airport, Hongqiao airport or Kunshan South Station when you first arrives in Kunshan during orientation
- Bring you to campus for check-in at Duke Kunshan campus
- Help store your luggage during summer breaks from May-August
- Provide free housing during the campus closure dates
- Treat you like your real family and keep in touch with you
Note: A host family is not financially responsible for the student, and is expected to provide transparent communication with the student on expenses of activities
What is the selection criteria for a student?
- Students who are interested in connecting with local families and community, and learning about their language and culture
- Students who are willing to share their own culture and language with the host family
- Commitment to be part of the host family program during the stay at DKU
- Students who have basic level of English language for daily communication with the host family
What are some of the host family events?
International Student Services, as part of the Office of Student Affairs, organizes events for students and their host families. These events are fun opportunities to spend time with your "adopted" student and socialize with other host families, usually at the beginning of the academic year (August) and at the end of the academic year (April) but looking to increase to monthly as we grow. Notices will be sent out to all the host families and international students through emails and other social medias.