Your Journey to Duke Kunshan University
Welcome to Duke Kunshan University! This page contains useful information to help you prepare your journey to the University, please also refer to the Admitted Student Information page for registration and program information. We wish you a safe journey to Kunshan and look forward to seeing you.
Visas (International Students)
For immigration queries (before and after your arrival), please visit our website
You need to arrange how you will pay your tuition and accommodation fees before arriving. The cost of living in Kunshan varies dependent on your lifestyle. It is important to plan out how much money you need to bring while study here in Kunshan.
- Living Costs (e.g. meals, telephone bills, laundry)
- Traveling Costs (e.g. bus, taxi, train, flight)
- Medical Costs
- Visa/Residence Permit Costs (international Students)
- Medical Check-up costs (international students)
- Remember to bring enough cash for your immediate use, for example transportation, meals, phone/sim card.
Approximate Living cost here in Kunshan
- Meals per day on campus: 50RMB (8.3USD)
- A cup of Coffee: 14RMB (7USD)
- A Haircut: 40RMB (6.7USD)
- Cell phone top-up per month: 100RMB (16.7USD)
- Laundry (per time): 10RMB (1.7USD)
- Leisure/Entertainment: 300RMB – 1000RMB (50 -167USD)
Apply for Housing
A typical suite has a living room, four private single bedrooms (or one two-bed bedroom and two single bedrooms) and two bathrooms with showers. For further information on how to apply for housing, please click here.
List of Hotels nearby in Kunshan for your family and friends when you arrive:
- Times Hotel (Duke Kunshan discount available)
No. 105, Boshi Road, 215300 Kunshan, China
- Kunshan Hotel (Duke Kunshan discount available)
No.99, North Renmin Road, 215300 Kunshan, China
- Tonino Lamborghini City Centre Hotel Kunshan (Duke Kunshan discount available)
NO.287 Zhongshan Road, 215300 Kunshan, China
- Fairmont Yangcheng Lake
No.3668 Ma'anshan Road, 215300 Yangchengcun, China
- Swissotel Kunshan
387 Qianjin Zhong Road, 215300 Kunshan, China
For detailed discount rates for Duke Kunshan students, please contact email@example.com.
When Should I Arrive? (FALL 2017)
August 20 Sunday: International and graduate student arrivals and check-in*.
August 21 Monday: Domestic student arrivals and check-in*/International and graduate student orientation starts
August 22 – 26 Tuesday – Saturday: Orientation for all new students
*Residence Hall check-in ends at 6 pm on these dates, please plan your travel arrival on campus accordingly and at least several hours prior to 6 pm.
Getting to the University
Please click here for arrival information.
From Kunshan South Station (昆山南站), you can travel to the University by getting on the University shuttle bus (Click here for the schedule for Aug 20th and 21st). Alternatively, you can travel by local bus or taxi.
Student volunteers will be able to meet you in the station and guide you to the shuttle bus.
- Arriving at Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport (SHA)
You may take a high-speed train from Hongqiao to Kunshan South Station (昆山南站) at your own expense, where you can then meet the University Shuttle* on one of the routes provided in the list. If you like, you can book your train ticket in advance, but please be sure to give yourself at least one hour transfer time between your flight arrival and train departure from Shanghai Hongqiao Station.
- Arriving at Pudong International Airport (PVG)
The inter-city shuttle bus from Pudong to Kunshan takes about 2 hours and costs around 80 RMB. It leaves approximately every one hour. We suggest that you arrive well before the last bus leaves from Pudong.
Airport Shuttle Schedule: http://www.ketd-terminal.com/Guide.asp?2333.html
You may also consider taking a taxi or requesting pickup service for ease and comfort. DKU will be happy to assist with the latter. You need to bear the expense and pay to the driver directly in cash after the completion of the service. To request an airport pickup service, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be aware that residence hall check-in ends at 6 pm; you should plan your travel accordingly and at least several hours prior to 6 pm.
We recommend that you get travel insurance before you leave. Make sure it covers you for any medical emergencies while traveling and the full value of any lost luggage.
Medical Insurance while studying at Duke Kunshan University
Accidental Insurance Plan for P.R.C Chinese Students
All P.R.C. Chinese students will be enrolled in the Ping’An Personal Accidental Insurance during your study at Duke Kunshan University. To ensure that you will be covered from August 21st, 2017-December 21st, 2017 (GLS) and August 20th, 2017-August 19th, 2018 (graduate students), please fill out the survey with your Chinese Name (in Chinese Characters) and Chinese ID card number by June 27th, 2017. Please double check all the information is correct before submitting the survey.
Medical Insurance for International Students
Global Learning Semester:
U.S. based and international students from outside U.S. (i.e. India, Africa, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan) enrolling through Apply Yourself and GEO application system do not need to purchase the Ping’An Global Health Insurance Plan. Please kindly email your insurance card information (incl. insurance company, subscriber name, insurance period, and subscriber ID) to email@example.com by June 27th, 2017.
U.S. based and international students from outside U.S. (i.e. India, Africa, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan) who do not apply through Duke’s GEO application system are required to enroll in the Ping’An Global Health Insurance Plan from August 21st, 2017 – December 21st, 2017. Please kindly email your insurance card information (incl. insurance company, subscriber name, insurance period, and subscriber ID) to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 27th, 2017.
All international students, including U.S. and other countries (i.e. India, Africa, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan) are required to enroll in the Ping’An Global Health Insurance Plan from August 20th, 2017-August 19th, 2018 (graduate students). Please complete and sign the Health Declaration Form and email it to email@example.com by June 27th. 2017.
- Passport or Chinese residence ID card
- Four (4) copies of color photo (3.5 x 4.5 cm or 1.38x1.77 inches, for resident permit) with white background (international students)
- Travel insurance documents
- Duke Kunshan Admission Letter, original
- Cash, debit or credit cards
- Photocopies of your passport pages, including the visa
- Any prescribed medication and the letter from the doctor
- Address and telephone of Duke Kunshan University in English and Chinese
- Enough clothes to last you until you get settled
- Own beddings, incl. pillow, pillow case, sheet, blanket, and wash towel. The mattress size is 965mm (W) 2030mm (L) 300mm (H).
Note: Certain items are not allowed on campus, please check out the detailed policies. Be careful when you are travelling, don’t leave luggage or any belongings unattended anywhere. Do not carry a large amount of cash when travelling and keep your passport safe.