Your Journey to Duke Kunshan University
Welcome to Duke Kunshan University! This page contains useful information to help you prepare your journey to the University, please also refer to the Admitted Student Information page for registration and program information. We wish you a safe journey to Kunshan and look forward to seeing you.
Visas (International Students)
For immigration queries (before and after your arrival), please visit our website
You need to arrange how you will pay your tuition and accommodation fees before arriving. The cost of living in Kunshan varies dependent on your lifestyle. It is important to plan out how much money you need to bring while study here in Kunshan.
- Living Costs (e.g. meals, telephone bills, laundry)
- Traveling Costs (e.g. bus, taxi, train, flight)
- Medical Costs
- Visa/Residence Permit Costs (international Students)
- Medical Check-up costs (international students)
- Remember to bring enough cash for your immediate use, for example transportation, meals, phone/sim card.
Approximate Living cost here in Kunshan
- Meals per day on campus: 50RMB (8.3USD)
- A cup of Coffee: 14RMB (7USD)
- A Haircut: 40RMB (6.7USD)
- Cell phone top-up per month: 100RMB (16.7USD)
- Laundry (per time): 10RMB (1.7USD)
- Leisure/Entertainment: 300RMB – 1000RMB (50 -167USD)
Apply for Housing
A typical suite has a living room, four private single bedrooms (or one two-bed bedroom and two single bedrooms) and two bathrooms with showers. For further information on how to apply for housing, please click here.
If you’d like to reserve a room for your family and friends at the Duke Kunshan University Conference Center, please email email@example.com. Other nearby hotels in Kunshan are also available for reservation:
- Duke Kunshan University Conference Center
No. 8, Duke Dadao, Kunshan, China
- Times Hotel (Duke Kunshan discount available)
No. 105, Boshi Road, 215300 Kunshan, China
- Kunshan Hotel (Duke Kunshan discount available)
No.99, North Renmin Road, 215300 Kunshan, China
- Tonino Lamborghini City Centre Hotel Kunshan (Duke Kunshan discount available)
NO.287 Zhongshan Road, 215300 Kunshan, China
- Fairmont Yangcheng Lake
No.3668 Ma'anshan Road, 215300 Yangchengcun, China
- Swissotel Kunshan
387 Qianjin Zhong Road, 215300 Kunshan, China
For detailed discount rates for Duke Kunshan students, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Getting to the University
Please click here for arrival information.
From Kunshan South Station (昆山南站), you can travel to the University by getting on the University shuttle bus (Click here for the schedule for Aug 20th and 21st). Alternatively, you can travel by local bus or taxi.
Student volunteers will be able to meet you in the station and guide you to the shuttle bus.
- Arriving at Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport (SHA)
You may take a high-speed train from Hongqiao to Kunshan South Station (昆山南站) at your own expense, where you can then meet the University Shuttle* on one of the routes provided in the list. If you like, you can book your train ticket in advance, but please be sure to give yourself at least one hour transfer time between your flight arrival and train departure from Shanghai Hongqiao Station.
- Arriving at Pudong International Airport (PVG)
The inter-city shuttle bus from Pudong to Kunshan takes about 2 hours and costs around 80 RMB. It leaves approximately every one hour. We suggest that you arrive well before the last bus leaves from Pudong.
Airport Shuttle Schedule: http://www.ketd-terminal.com/Guide.asp?2333.html
You may also consider taking a taxi or requesting pickup service for ease and comfort. DKU will be happy to assist with the latter. You need to bear the expense and pay to the driver directly in cash after the completion of the service. To request an airport pickup service, please send an email to email@example.com. Please be aware that residence hall check-in ends at 6 pm; you should plan your travel accordingly and at least several hours prior to 6 pm.
We recommend that you get travel insurance before you leave. Make sure it covers you for any medical emergencies while traveling and the full value of any lost luggage.
Medical Insurance while studying at Duke Kunshan University
Accidental Insurance Plan for P.R.C Chinese Students
All P.R.C. Chinese students will be enrolled in the Ping’An Personal Accidental Insurance during your study at Duke Kunshan University (enrollment fee is covered by the university), from January 6th, 2018 to May 19th, 2018 (MMS program) and from February 22nd, 2018 to June 16th, 2018 (GLS program).
Medical Insurance for International Students
Global Learning Semester:
U.S. based and international students from outside U.S. (i.e. India, Africa, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan) enrolling through Apply Yourself and GEO application system do not need to purchase the Ping’An Global Health Insurance Plan. Please kindly email your insurance card information (incl. insurance company, subscriber name, insurance period, and subscriber ID) to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 10th, 2018.
U.S. based and international students from outside U.S. (i.e. India, Africa, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan) who do not apply through Duke’s GEO application system are required to enroll in the Ping’An Global Health Insurance Plan from February 22nd, 2018 to June 16th, 2018. Please complete and sign the Health Declaration Form and email it to email@example.com by January 10th, 2018.
All international students, including U.S. and other countries and regions (i.e. India, Africa, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan) are required to enroll in the Ping’An Global Health Insurance Plan from January 6th, 2018 to May 19th, 2018. Please complete and sign the Health Declaration Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 20th, 2017.
- Passport or Chinese residence ID card
- Four (4) copies of color photo (3.5 x 4.5 cm or 1.38x1.77 inches, for resident permit) with white background (international students)
- Travel insurance documents
- Duke Kunshan Admission Letter, original
- Cash, debit or credit cards
- Photocopies of your passport pages, including the visa
- Any prescribed medication and the letter from the doctor
- Address and telephone of Duke Kunshan University in English and Chinese
- Enough clothes to last you until you get settled
- Own beddings, incl. pillow, pillow case, sheet, blanket, and wash towel. The mattress size is 965mm (W) 2030mm (L) 300mm (H).
Note: Certain items are not allowed on campus, please check out the detailed policies. Be careful when you are travelling, don’t leave luggage or any belongings unattended anywhere. Do not carry a large amount of cash when travelling and keep your passport safe.