- Arrival Dates
- Money Matters
- Apply for Housing
- Get Packing
- Getting to the University
- Medical Insurance while Studying at Duke Kunshan University
- Student Handbook (Coming soon)
Your Journey to Duke Kunshan University
Welcome to Duke Kunshan University! This page contains useful information to help you prepare your journey to the University, please also refer to the Admitted Student Information page for registration and program information. We wish you a safe journey to Kunshan and look forward to seeing you.
August 18(tentative): Arrival and check-in
*Check-in hours: 9:00am – 6:00pm.
August 13 : Arrival and check-in
*Check-in hours: 9:00am – 6:00pm.
Once you have your travel arrangements set, please take a moment to fill out our arrival information form. Note if you have last-minute changes after submitting the form or if you have any question about arrival, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You need to arrange how you will pay your tuition and accommodation fees before arriving. The cost of living in Kunshan varies dependent on your lifestyle. It is important to plan out how much money you need to bring while study here in Kunshan.
- Living Costs (e.g. meals, telephone bills, laundry)
- Traveling Costs (e.g. bus, taxi, train, flight)
- Medical Costs
- Visa/Residence Permit Costs (international Students)
- Medical Check-up costs (international students)
- Remember to bring enough cash for your immediate use, for example transportation, meals, phone/sim card.
Approximate Living cost here in Kunshan
- Meals per day on campus: 50RMB (8USD)
- A cup of coffee: 14 RMB (2.24USD)
- A haircut: 40RMB (6.4USD)
- Cell phone top-up per month: 100RMB (16USD)
- Laundry (per time): 10RMB (1.6USD)
- Leisure/Entertainment: 300RMB-1000RMB (48-160USD)
Apply for Housing
Undergraduate First-year Housing
Welcome to the Duke Kunshan First-Year Housing Community! All freshmen will be staying in the Conference Center on campus and be assigned to double rooms. A double room has two single beds a bunk bed, a bathroom with shower, study desks, chairs, lamps, closets, waste baskets, drinking water faucet, air-conditioning and free WiFi.
You will find your own roommate through the roommate matching process. Residence Life team will provide the assistance, support and opportunities for a smooth adjustment to the new environment. We are here to support your learning, development, growth and a sense of responsibility through the creation of a close-knit, safe, inclusive and supportive living-learning community. The First-Year Residential Experience not only includes themed communities that allow students to explore common interests but provides the platform for faculty and students to interact outside the classroom. You will connect, bond and support one another and become the best versions of yourselves not only academically, but socially, personally, physically and emotionally.
Resident Assistants (RAs) serve as the primary resource on each floor, providing peer help on academic, social and personal issues, ensuring the health and safety of residents, and building a positive community on each floor and in the residence hall. Apart from being an RA, students can also get involved and serve the student community through other leadership roles in residence life.
Graduate Student Housing information is available HERE.
To reserve a room for family or friends, you can consider one of the following hotels in Kunshan:
- Huijin Scholars Hotel
No. 258, Dengyun Road, Huijin Fortune Plaza Building B
- Times Hotel
No. 105, Boshi Road, 215300 Kunshan, China
- Kunshan Hotel
No.99, North Renmin Road, 215300 Kunshan, China
- Tonino Lamborghini City Centre Hotel Kunshan
No.287 Zhongshan Road, 215300 Kunshan, China
- Fairmont Yangcheng Lake
No.3668 Ma'anshan Road, 215300 Yangchengcun, China
- Swissotel Kunshan
387 QianjinZhong Road, 215300 Kunshan, China
Getting to the University
Please click here for arrival information.
From Kunshan South Station (昆山南站), you can travel to the University by getting on the University shuttle bus (Click here for the schedule for Aug 20th and 21st). Alternatively, you can travel by local bus or taxi.
Student volunteers will be able to meet you in the station and guide you to the shuttle bus.
- Arriving at Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport (SHA)
You may take a high-speed train from Hongqiao to Kunshan South Station (昆山南站) at your own expense, where you can then meet the University Shuttle* on one of the routes provided in the list. If you like, you can book your train ticket in advance, but please be sure to give yourself at least one hour transfer time between your flight arrival and train departure from Shanghai Hongqiao Station.
- Arriving at Pudong International Airport (PVG)
The inter-city shuttle bus from Pudong to Kunshan takes about 2 hours and costs around 80 RMB. It leaves approximately every one hour. We suggest that you arrive well before the last bus leaves from Pudong.
Airport Shuttle Schedule: http://www.ketd-terminal.com/Guide.asp?2333.html
You may also consider taking a taxi or requesting pickup service for ease and comfort. DKU will be happy to assist with the latter. You need to bear the expense and pay to the driver directly in cash after the completion of the service. To request an airport pickup service, please send an email to email@example.com. Please be aware that residence hall check-in ends at 6 pm; you should plan your travel accordingly and at least several hours prior to 6 pm.
We recommend that you get travel insurance before you leave. Make sure it covers you for any medical emergencies while traveling and the full value of any lost luggage.
Medical Insurance while studying at Duke Kunshan University
Medical Insurance for P.R.C Chinese Students
All Mainland Chinese students will be covered by the Accidental Insurance Plan from Duke Kunshan University and strongly encouraged to purchase the Kunshan Social Insurance. The Social Insurance Plan provides coverage within the Kunshan area. More detailed information regarding the social insurance benefits will be announced later on.
Medical Insurance for International Students and Students from Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan
U.S. based students, international students from outside U.S., and students from Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan are required to purchase the Medical Insurance Plan from Duke Kunshan University. More detailed information regarding the insurance coverage, benefits and enrollment process will be available later on.
- Passport or Chinese residence ID card
- Four (4) copies of color photo (3.5 x 4.5 cm or 1.38x1.77 inches, for resident permit) with white background (international students)
- Travel insurance documents
- Duke Kunshan Admission Letter, original
- Cash, debit or credit cards
- Photocopies of your passport pages, including the visa
- Any prescribed medication and the letter from the doctor
- Address and telephone of Duke Kunshan University in English and Chinese
- Enough clothes to last you until you get settled
- Own beddings, incl. pillow, pillow case, sheet, blanket, and wash towel. The mattress size is 2000mm (L) 900mm (W) (Undergraduate Housing), and 965mm (W) 2030mm (L) 300mm (H) (Graduate Student Residence Hall).
Note: Certain items are not allowed on campus, please check out the detailed policies. Be careful when you are travelling, don’t leave luggage or any belongings unattended anywhere. Do not carry a large amount of cash when travelling and keep your passport safe.